I guess it shouldn't be surprising that everything I'm making right now is rosy. The tail end of winter needs some extra flowers, even if they're just made of yarn and paint. After having made lots of little crocheted roses with the rose pattern I refined, I decided to try using thicker yarns instead of fine crochet thread and perle cotton. I think I might be a little obsessed now.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those roses. I have a few ideas I'm kicking around. We'll see. I did create a garden full of roses for another bag I've been slowly working on. Here's an in-progress photo:
I couldn't help taking a photo of it on my rose-carved antique sofa. That's where I sat crocheting most of it. This bag is my first foray into felting. I crocheted it from virgin wool. I wish I'd photographed the body of the bag before felting it and I wish I'd measured it, too, so I could compare before and after to help with future felting projects.
My mom suggested that I put the roses in pantyhose to felt them, as she'd seen something similar done with felted pumpkins. She donated an old pair and I filled up the legs with flowers and the seat with the handles. The result was very odd-looking,
but it worked. The only problem was that the legs tangled themselves up in the washer.
Now I just need to figure out what fabric I want to use to line the bag and then I'll assemble it.
What's been consuming most of my creative energy this past week has been my stitched postcard for The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap. I am loving how this project has pushed me to attempt some techniques that I've never tried before and I am loving how my postcard is turning out. I wish I could share it with you RIGHT NOW, but I need to keep it a secret. Here's a sneak peek of it on my sewing machine because I can't help myself.
In addition to all of the rosiness that I've been creating, in my inbox this morning was a rose-themed poem. I'll admit that I don't read all of the daily poems, but it's nice to get them in my inbox anyway.
A final bit of rosiness is happening in paint. My newest abstract rose:
This one started out much smaller, centered in the page and with carefully painted petals. It looked just awful. Many layers of paint later, I gave up careful painting and ended up with this. I like how it turned out. Today I'm going to try refining the painting of the vines of roses from week 2 of my painting class. We'll see how it goes.