Joy List Monday -- a Joy List in Photos on a Sunshiny Morning

The sun is out. There's not a cloud in the sky. It's chilly. Windy. Autumnal. Feels like a fresh start. A nice feeling for Monday morning.

geraniums, autumn, garden, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

There's something extra special about the flowers that are still blooming in the autumn garden. Summer's last hurrah.

I brought my camera outside this morning to capture some of it.

Makes a bit of a change for today's Joy List Monday.

Joy List Monday: 

a weekly ritual
a reminder to stop and pay attention to the little beauties and graces that make life magical and to set aside time for gratitude each day

I'm hoping that we don't get a frost before my pineapple sage blooms. It's filled with buds now. They look so hopeful.

pineapple sage, salvia, autumn, garden, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

This salvia always waits till autumn to form its buds for me. In other parts of the country (read warmer) it's perennial and there's no shortage of flowers, but for me the plant is sometimes killed by frost before I ever see sight of a bloom. I grow it anyway. Hopeful that this is the year it will be different. But also, I grow it for the fragrance. The leaves smell delicious, just like pineapple.

Another late bloomer in my garden this year is my okra. I finally spotted some flowers on it this morning.

okra, okra flowers, autumn, garden, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

I didn't have much luck with anything I planted in the spot where I planted the okra. The weeds seemed to grow fine, but my seeds didn't want to do anything. It's really too shady a spot, but I thought I'd try. Funny that they're blooming now, though, when there's even less sun.

Seeing flowers on some of my roses makes me wish I had more growing here.

roses, rosa rugosa, pink grootendorst, autumn, garden, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

These are Pink Grootendorst, a variety of rugosa that is tough and totally undemanding. I have two of them in my garden, both mistakes -- they were supposed to be other varieties, but were mislabeled. I'm happy for the flowers regardless.

And of course, nasturtiums.

nasturtiums, nasturtium flower, gardening, autumn, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

They always make me happy.

Because they're one of my favorites and because I've painted them so many times, I chose them for my newest Skillshare class.



I'm putting the finishing touches on this class and hope to have it up on the Skillshare site later this week (until then you can check out my other classes: Jump Start a Daily Art Practice and Getting Started with a Botanical Sketchbook. Sign up with either link and get 3 months of Skillshare premium membership for only $0.99).

****Edit: my nasturtium painting class is now available on Skillshare. Sign up here****

I hope that you're having a beautiful beginning of a joy-filled week. What's on your Joy List today?

Comments

  1. I am glad that you are doing well with your Skillshare classes Anne. You are a very good instructor and proficient in what you do!

    My joy list today is:

    Seeing the photos of plants in your lovely garden
    Making pendants out of my baked marbles!
    Walking 5 miles on my Sunday walk
    Collecting conkers - to keep away the house spiders
    An intention of making falafels tomorrow and a nice loaf cake
    Doing lots of creating

    Wishing you have a lovely week ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Simone. I thought I'd replied to your comment earlier, but I guess I didn't. Sorry about that!

      Your joy list sounds wonderful! I'm not sure what conkers are or why they keep spiders away. Interesting. :) You have me craving some falafel now!

      Hope that this week is as good as last!

      Delete

Post a Comment