Joy List Monday -- Be the Light

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
                              --Martin Luther King, Jr.

There is so much about these days that I cannot get my head around. And so, I will do my best to be the light, to be the love. And I hope you will, too.

I'm still feeling my way through the changes here on my blog. I'm still feeling my way into this new year. Things take time and I'm letting them. I'm writing in my journal.*

journaling, Soulflower Oracle Deck, studio, painting, watercolor, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

I'm refining my goals. I'm realizing that I need some self-imposed deadlines, some scheduling. Last week I was feeling a little overwhelmed until I realized that I shouldn't be trying to do everything all at once. It's a sure way to get nothing done (I know this, but it's easy to get carried away by excitement over new ideas and plans).

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Focus.

Be present.

Gratitude always helps with that.

lilies, flowers, cut flowers, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Joy List Monday: 
a weekly ritual
a reminder to stop and pay attention to the little beauties and graces that make life magical and to set aside time for gratitude each day

My Joy List this week:
  • Getting my studio cleaned and organized
  • Finishing a painting that I was close to giving up on
  • My mom's calzones (!!!)
  • Our first big snow and the way our house looks in the snow with the blue door and shutters I painted last summer
  • Freshly baked apple coffee cake
  • Projects and ideas (always)
  • Flowers and the promise of flowers (tucked beneath their wintry blanket)
  • Love
  • Hope
winter, snow, blue shutters, blue door, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Wishing you light and love and hope and joy.



*Most days I choose a card from Lisa Estabrook's Soulflower Oracle Deck. I interviewed Lisa last winter and was intrigued by her oracle cards. Maybe it sounds a little woo woo, but they have been a good way to think about thoughts and feelings. Not looking to the future, but looking inward. The cards are good journaling prompts and often my choice for the day is just what I need to hear.

Comments

  1. Your joy lists are always a breath of fresh air to me, Anne, but I can't seem to make up one of my own very often. I worry too much, look at the negative, and miss out on a lot of the little moments of joy. But reading your lists makes me reflect on my own pretty wonderful life, and perhaps I'll try doing this myself.
    Thanks for always being an inspiration. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Sometimes you just need to be still and aware of what is going on in a single moment. No paper or pen needed. The last few mornings I've gotten up and spent a few moments looking at the beautiful sunrise colors in the sky. A slow, quiet, thoughtful way to start the day.

      Delete
  2. It took me a few weeks but my word for the year finally hit me in the shower, "unhurried". It is how I always want to spend my days no matter what I am doing. Thank you for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a perfect word! I often feel hurried and it's not pleasant. Nothing works right when we're rushing. "Unhurried" has such a different vibe than "slow", too, which is one of the words I'd been considering for myself. I hope that your year is nice and unhurried. It makes me so happy to know I've given you some inspiration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful list...thank you for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words! I hope you are filling up your lists with beautiful and joyful things!

      Delete

Post a Comment