Spring Awakening for Joy List Monday

It's dreary and wet this morning, but I don't mind. It is April after all and I am very much looking forward to the May flowers.

watercolor art print calendar, tulips, botanical art print, studio, orchids, cats, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Actually, there are flowers now, too. I've spied all sorts of bulbs blooming around the neighborhood. Mine are just showing leaves so far, but there are flowers on the tiny viola seedlings in my vegetable beds.

I spent some time working in the garden on Saturday. Cleaning up. Pruning roses. Making discoveries. Reconnecting with the source of my inspiration and joy.

I ate a couple carrots that had been missed last fall (one was good, one was not). I cut some catnip and brought it in for the boys. I planted seeds. Pulled weeds. It all felt so right.

Every spring is the same. As if I've forgotten what it's like. As if I've given up on it ever arriving. It's a welcome surprise, and yet so familiar. Oh yes, I remember you.

I know some of you have snow right now and I am sorry. On Friday I packaged up and sent a garden-full of flowery prints to a customer in a snowstorm.

Art Prints, watercolor prints, botanical prints, botanical watercolor prints, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

(Even though it was a little too dark in my studio, I had to snap a photo of them lined up on my table before I wrapped them. I just imagine the joy they'll bring).

In Wisconsin we may have another snowstorm or two before the season is here for real, but spring (and summer) is coming. There's no denying it. Before too long I'll have armloads of flowers to bring up to my studio from the garden. As we head in that direction there are so many joys to discover. So much beauty in which to delight.

scented geraniums, pelargoniums, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Joy List Monday: 

a weekly ritual
a reminder to stop and pay attention to the little beauties and graces that make life magical and to set aside time for gratitude each day

sketchbook, collage, botanical collage, orchids, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Today's list:
  • surprise flowers on the scented geranium overwintered in the bedroom
  • beginnings of spring outside
  • daily goldfinch visitors in the garden and at the feeders
  • publishing my newest Skillshare class (get a preview below. I'd love to have you join me!*)
  • making collages in my sketchbook
  • knowing that people are using fabric I designed (look here, here and here)
  • ordering seeds, finally
  • the cats recovering from their surgeries last week (and the fact that Pepper's wasn't as invasive as was originally thought)
  • first grilling of the year (lamb chops from these local farmers)
  • the scent of mint from plants I overwintered in the garage
  • hot coffee


What's on your list today?

cats, black and white cats, rescue cats, adopt don't shop, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry



*if you're not already a Skillshare subscriber you can try one month for free and get access to all of my classes as well as over 15,000 others. And you can cancel any time if you find it's not for you.

Comments

  1. Your flowery prints look delightful all lined up together! I must say how much I enjoy your photography Anne. You have a wonderful eye for composition.
    I love the use of wool in your paper collage! My joy list today:

    Getting out in the garden.
    Hanging and drying washing on the line.
    Cutting back overgrown shrubs.
    Making a Birthday card for my Dad.
    The end (almost) of a four day migraine.
    Peace and quiet with neighbours away.

    Have a lovely week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Simone.

      Your list sounds lovely. Ah, spring. :)

      Sorry you had a drawn-out migraine (and noisy neighbors!). Hope you're feeling 100% again.

      Have a wonderful rest of your week!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Anne on all the happy news. I'm glad spring is showing up for you. It sure is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dana.

      Spring is definitely a wonderful thing! :)

      Delete
  3. So many wonderful things to be joyful about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. Yes, my Joy Lists seem to be very full lately!

      Delete
  4. I am so behind in my blog reading, Anne! Loved turning the calendar page to your cheerful tulips. And I do adore that orchid paper collage! Thanks for the link love to the nasturtium and veggie napkins. So glad to hear your kitties made it through their surgeries, I had been keeping them in my thoughts. I took a peek at Mule Foot Farm and just loved "meeting"those two guys. Hope you are well, Anne. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment