Actually, there are flowers now, too. I've spied all sorts of bulbs blooming around the neighborhood. Mine are just showing leaves so far, but there are flowers on the tiny viola seedlings in my vegetable beds.
I spent some time working in the garden on Saturday. Cleaning up. Pruning roses. Making discoveries. Reconnecting with the source of my inspiration and joy.
I ate a couple carrots that had been missed last fall (one was good, one was not). I cut some catnip and brought it in for the boys. I planted seeds. Pulled weeds. It all felt so right.
Every spring is the same. As if I've forgotten what it's like. As if I've given up on it ever arriving. It's a welcome surprise, and yet so familiar. Oh yes, I remember you.
I know some of you have snow right now and I am sorry. On Friday I packaged up and sent a garden-full of flowery prints to a customer in a snowstorm.
(Even though it was a little too dark in my studio, I had to snap a photo of them lined up on my table before I wrapped them. I just imagine the joy they'll bring).
In Wisconsin we may have another snowstorm or two before the season is here for real, but spring (and summer) is coming. There's no denying it. Before too long I'll have armloads of flowers to bring up to my studio from the garden. As we head in that direction there are so many joys to discover. So much beauty in which to delight.
Joy List Monday:
a weekly ritual
- surprise flowers on the scented geranium overwintered in the bedroom
- beginnings of spring outside
- daily goldfinch visitors in the garden and at the feeders
- publishing my newest Skillshare class (get a preview below. I'd love to have you join me!*)
- making collages in my sketchbook
- knowing that people are using fabric I designed (look here, here and here)
- ordering seeds, finally
- the cats recovering from their surgeries last week (and the fact that Pepper's wasn't as invasive as was originally thought)
- first grilling of the year (lamb chops from these local farmers)
- the scent of mint from plants I overwintered in the garage
- hot coffee
What's on your list today?
*if you're not already a Skillshare subscriber you can try one month for free and get access to all of my classes as well as over 15,000 others. And you can cancel any time if you find it's not for you.