yarn bomb!

About a month ago, Shannon from Free Spirit Knits had a giveway on her blog during her 30 Days of Giving Thanks.  It was for a handknit flower from the Yarn Doodler ready to be secretly left in a public place.  And I won it!

I hinted at it in this post when I showed a glimpse of the package.




The flower was so bright and cheerful and it made me happy just to look at it.




It was ready to be "planted" as a yarn bomb, numbered, named and dated.




The flower arrived just about the time that we brought home the dogs and I thought that it would be fun to plant it somewhere that we walk with them.  And then it rained and rained and rained.  Not good yarn bombing weather.  And with the short days many of our walks were in the dark.  I was getting impatient!

Finally the weather was good and Matthias and I were walking together (I needed someone to help document the moment!) with the dogs in one of our favorite parks and I found the perfect place to plant the Mystery yarn doodle.  The park where we were hiking is very hilly and has lots of rock outcroppings and rocky ledges.  I left the path and planted the flower within view, but separated by a deep, rocky drop (actually, by backtracking it's easily accessible.  I didn't have to do any rock climbing to get over there).




Can you see it? 




(In person it's a lot more visible than in my phone photo).

Amazingly, even though the day was nice and we saw lots of people hiking (and even someone riding her horse), while I was planting the yarn doodle, no one walked by.  Matthias and the boys were the only witnesses.




I'll be excited to check on the flower every time we go hiking in this park.




Thanks, again, to Shannon and the Yarn Doodler for sending this little bit of yarn-y goodness my way.  I'm sure it will make many people smile.

I have ideas percolating right now thanks to this random act of knit art, the thought of Carmen Adams's little love notes from the most recent Artful Blogging and this awesome phenomenon.  I'll let you know as soon as I figure out how I want to do what I'm thinking.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.  I find it impossible to believe that Christmas has come and gone already.

Comments

  1. what a fun idea!

    and the poetry posts...genius! our son and daughter-in-law live near Portland, a very cool city!

    "ideas percolating". i like that phrase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome Anne. I would love to walking along and see that. I can't wait to hear what you have planned! Happy New Year to you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun it will be for someone to discover that flower! What a great idea. I've enjoyed joining you on your blogging journey this year and seeing your growth. I wish you many happy events in 2012 and beyond. May your family thrive and bloom where you're planted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such fun. And I am excited to try my ideas. I hope each of you is inspired to try something fun, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment