gratitude

Here in the U.S. tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I love that Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on our blessings, to think about those things for which we are grateful. I love being able to get together with family and prepare and eat good food, too. That we live such a short distance away and there's no rush or stress or hassle makes it even sweeter.

What I do not like about Thanksgiving is the way it acts as the beginning of Christmas. Shouldn't Thanksgiving stand on its own? Shouldn't it be a time for reflection and gratitude and love and celebration and joy? I've noticed, though that Thanksgiving as the beginning of Christmas doesn't even seem to be the case anymore. Christmas has been in the stores for months. On Instagram I've seen people with Christmas trees and other decorating and not just this week. I've been getting "countdown to Black Friday" emails for weeks. Seriously, is this what we want?

I'm not a humbug. I love the Christmas season, celebrated in my own way. And I think that's what we need to do. Take charge of our holidays, whichever holidays they are. Make them about togetherness and gratitude. Love and joy.

Today I spent some time filling up a page with a list of things for which I am grateful.

gratitude, Thanksgiving, My Giant Strawberry, Anne Butera

There is so much, more than I collected here. I probably even forgot some big things. I did not forget to include YOU. I am grateful for each and every one of the people who read my words. My online community. The beautiful souls with whom I've made connections. Thank you. I am grateful for the people who enjoy my art and who tell me so through comments or "likes" on social media. Thank you! And I am grateful for those who choose to purchase my art. Thank you for helping to make my dream of being a working artist a reality.

For each of you reading these words I wish time for reflection, for gratitude, for joy, a bit of peace in the hustle and bustle that is our world at this time of year.

Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Anne. Ours is going to be white here in NY. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, see I'm one of those people that loves Christmas...but hates Thanksgiving. (We don't even celebrate it!)
    Thank YOU for sharing your world and your art with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment