30 Paintings 30 Days, Day 13 -- and now for something completely different

While I've been working on these tiny paintings for the daily painting challenge I've also been working on a larger painting of nasturtiums. I hate to say that my flower paintings are tedious because that word has such negative connotations, so let's say painstaking or maybe "exacting", instead. Anyway, I've been working on these detailed, exacting paintings and have been feeling a need for something different, less detailed, looser. I did start a few gouache paintings that are much looser, but I'm working on them over a few days. I needed something else for my daily painting today.

Before I started the daily painting challenge I had ideas of doing some watercolors based on quilt patterns. Actually, I've had that in the back of my mind for a long time (I did play with some collaged watercolor quilt designs in my 2x2 Sketchbook project with Dana).

Today would be the perfect time to try it out using some of the extra paint on my watercolor palette.

I have to wonder, though. Who does precise, geometric patterns as a break from exacting, precise floral watercolors?

watercolor, geometric patterns, quilts, star quilt, star quilt block, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

I changed my mind about how I wanted to paint this one part-way through painting it. So I did a second one.

watercolor, geometric patterns, quilts, star quilt, star quilt block, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Kind of defeats the purpose of quick, easygoing paintings, but other than (figuring out and) drawing the lines and waiting for paint to dry, neither took very long to paint.

Comments