It's here!!!

Earlier this year I was contacted by a librarian at my neighborhood library and asked if I'd be interested in having a Little Free Library in my front yard. The library system was planning for a few of these little libraries to be installed around the community. A local artist was busy building one with others in the works. I loved the idea and jumped at the chance. Back in June we had the first meeting to determine placement and height and today it was put up and stocked!









I think it needs some flowers.

You can read more about the local project here and see photos of the installation here and here.

The Little Free Library movement began in Wisconsin in 2010 and is now an international phenomenon. It's been featured on NPR and in the New York Times and I recently discovered that the artist Kelly Rae Roberts put one up in her front yard.

A library in my front yard. How's that for Joy?! Won't you join in, too? Contact your local library to see if they'd be interested, order one from the Little Free Library's website or just build one yourself!




Comments

  1. Wow! That is amazing! I love it. Sending love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic idea! I wonder who the first person to take a book out is going to be? Some little flowers around the base would look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find this idea fantastic!! ...I would like to do the same in my city! I am really curious to know if someone used it!
    Greetings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea! Around here, I'd be worried about vandalism, but it's nice to hear of such a community-minded project! Lucky you to have one in front of your house! Flowers would look sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, how cool, would be fun spying who takes what through the window!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment