choosing colors



I never used to think of myself as indecisive when it comes to choosing colors. But, I have to admit that I am. It took me a long time to decide on a color for my studio in Cleveland and figuring out what color to paint various pieces of furniture always seems to have me poring over color swatches for days. Ever since we moved into this house I have been contemplating colors and having such a hard time deciding! We recently painted the kitchen a light blue (not visible in these color swatches) and the dining room white. I keep vacillating about the living room. White? Green? Mint? Peach? White with one accent wall? Back and forth I go. Matthias is sick of me asking, "what about this color?" and "which of these do you like best?" Eventually I'll choose. Until then I'm constantly comparing swatches.

What about you? Is it easy for you to choose colors? What sorts of colors are you most drawn to? How do you decide between colors?

Comments

  1. It is hard to decide when painting rooms. Plus, the color never looks the same on the wall as that little swatch does. We had painted our bedroom what I thought was going to be a very neutral cream but it turned out to be the best shade of yellow ever and I just love it. Our dining room on the other hand is orange and I really don't care for it but it will have to stay for a bit longer. I love the blue you painted your kitchen. Good luck with choosing the other colors. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choosing colors is a very tricky project. Sometimes I succumb to the marketing ploys and am swayed by the name of the color. So silly, but I confess this is true.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For painting walls I tend to go for neutral colours (as I change my mind so often) I then add colour with pictures and accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year we repainted our 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room,dining room, hallways and family room. Everything was originally ivory - now we have green, taupe, butter yellow and aqua walls!! It was a steep learning curve, but I'm happy to live with more color now. It takes time - enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, well, when it comes to house decor I can be a lot more indecisive because of having to consider everyone else and the furniture etc. I find it is exciting making your individual mark on your home but can hold some nervous responsibility to get it right because it can be a costly & emotionally affecting decision. But when it comes to chosing colour to paint/create with or even to wear on the whole I tend to be drawn strongly to certain colours, maybe depending on my mood. It sounds like you should enjoy the choosing as an exciting part of nesting into your new home. Of course perhaps you could spare Matthias some of your deliberations for fear of driving him mad, lol :-))

    Glad you had a good Birthday, enjoying the first beauties of spring & settling into your new home.
    Take care, hugs, Kat :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always had a hard time choosing colors, too, until last summer when I sat down and (using illustrator dropper tool) picked my top 5 favorite colors overall. Now I refer to that whenever I see something I like for the house. As for walls, my go-to is always a creamy ivory. Love seeing the progress on your home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts about choosing colors! It was so much fun to read them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment