spring is here

I know that April can be iffy, but it really does look like spring is here to stay. Although I wouldn't be surprised if winter were to have a last hurrah or two. Even so, it's been wonderful to be outside working in our new yard, doing a bit of clean-up (and making some fun discoveries).




I'm jumping into garden planning. I started building some raised beds and I even planted some seeds in the first to be finished. Lettuce, arugula, spinach and radishes. A piddly amount compared to what my mom and I have been starting out at the farm inside under grow lights.

Kale, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts.




Sunflowers, echinacea, marigolds, sweet peas, zinnias (and other flowers that I'm not remembering).




Chives, leeks, onions.




Dividing the tiny onion seedlings into their own cells was strangely fun (I even ate a couple of these itty bitty onions). There are over 100 that now have a bit more room to grow (before this they were in a flowerpot and looked like grass). Right now it's hard to imagine that they'll be full sized onions by the end of the summer.

We also have tiny tomato seedlings and peppers and eggplants as well as many, many, many seeds that we'll be planting directly into the garden once there's no longer a danger of frost. I'm giddy with the thought of creating meals with freshly picked produce and filling the house with bouquet after bouquet after bouquet. We're entering into my favorite time of year.

What about you? What are you enjoying today?

Comments