listening deeply and quiet challenges -- this month's make & do

I've been thinking a lot about Make & Do and what my challenge for February should be. I'm not at a loss of ideas. I have ideas coming out my ears. There are too many, actually. Yes, I want to work on calligraphy. Yes, I want to sew up some new clothes (especially lounge pants to replace the flannels that just sprouted a rip). Yes, I want to work on filling up my new little book with plant sketches. Yes, I want to make lip gloss and another batch of soap... I want to do all of those things and more. But this overabundance of ideas and inspiration does not help me to focus. And although I guess focus wasn't really the point of my Make & Do challenge, focus is something I seem to be craving. I think it's important to listen deeply to what we think and feel, to what our spirits are telling us. To what our bodies are telling us. We know deep down what it is that we need.

The other day I wrote about balance, about shifting my priorities, about how I realize I need to paint more and do other stuff less. And so as I have been pondering my monthly challenge and striving for balance I realized that my choice is simple. This month needs to be about focusing on painting. My challenge for the month is to put aside all those other ideas that are jumping up and down saying "pick me, pick me!" and I'm going to paint.

make and do creative challenge watercolor logo

I'm craving focus. I'm craving simplicity. I'm craving serenity (to borrow Simone's word for the year). And I'm craving paints and brushes and paper.

What about you? Is there something you'd like to tackle this month? Something on which you'd like to focus? Something you'd like to try? It doesn't have to be big. It doesn't have to be all encompassing. It doesn't need to be month-long. It just needs to be intentional and it needs to answer a  craving in your spirit. Are you feeling it? I'd love to hear about it.

Comments

  1. Right now I am focused on getting through the school year to June and that last day that brings with it freedom from a toxic work environment. Then I will have time to do all those things I want and need to do. For now, it is one day at a time. Every year I start an art journal, or a diary, and then fail miserably with keeping up with it. I intended to doodle every day but that has fallen to the wayside, too. Crochet is easy so I do that most often. Would like to get back to some cross-stitch. Perhaps tonight I will do something small. Thanks for the inspiration to just do! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tammy. I think it's always one day at a time. I think it's good to strive and to want to do more. But I also think we need to be easy on ourselves. We can't do everything. Glad you're doing some crochet. Just keep taking it one day at a time.

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. I am all over the place at the moment Anne. Like you there are many things I want to do but unlike you I don't end up doing many at all! My focus for the last few weeks has been Gizmo and whenever I do anything for my own enjoyment or sanity I am consumed with guilt. I need to think about this one. I may just make a pair of simple earrings using up some of my supplies. Best of luck with focusing on your paintings. Your love for water colour shines out with your beautiful art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let go of the guilt, Simone. You deserve to spend time and energy on yourself. You NEED to do that.

      I hope you found time and inspiration to work on your earrings.

      Delete
  3. I love your "Make and Do" painting - both as it relates to your focus this month and such pretty colors! My focus this month is to sew a lot and paint a little :) I want to immerse myself in the yummy colors of my fabric stacks and acrylic paints. Its hard to stay focused sometimes but once I'm playing with pretty colors it gets much easier. Good luck with your painting projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sharon!

      Sewing a lot and painting a little sounds just perfect! I look forward to seeing both on your blog!

      Delete
  4. It seems we are psychically linked across the thousands of miles that seperate us :-) I was having similar thoughts the last few days - so many things on my want-to-do list. And its all exciting & valid & I count my blessings that I shan't be bored, lol :-) BUT I too feel the need for focus. So I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time - trying... What I need is not to get overwhelmed by the choice, not panic about not having enough time and relax, trust and listen to myself. See, it seems we are at a very similar place today & this week. Wishing you calm, inspiration & joy my friend/ Hugs, Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how this always seems to be the case with us! Kindred spirits, certainly!

      Wishing us both success in focus and in slowing down to do one think at a time. We can be each others' cheering section! :)

      Hugs right back!

      Delete
  5. I can so relate to this! I'm pretty much all over the place. I want to blog, sew clothes, knit, crochet, do some graphic design work and more! I really feel that I have to focus on some of the graphic design work but with the cold weather, I end up knitting up warm things for myself or my family! I think I might give myself week-long windows of focus. I need to get organised! Wishing you well and thank you for inspiring me to check in with myself deep down and what I'm craving. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Ishrat! Nice to see you here. :)

    Us creative types sure want to do it all, don't we? I guess we're in good company.

    I really like your idea of week-long windows of focus. That's a good way to organize it.

    Wishing you the best in your creative endeavors and in finding peace and focus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, I think by looking at your art that your creativity is in such a bloom at the moment. your painting are gorgeous and whenever I see new ones I feel such a wow when I look at them. well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always good thoughts here, Anne. Right now I'm focused on getting our cottage built! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment