Our weather has been so beautiful here. I'm savoring every minute of open windows, bare feet, blue skies, flower cutting, garden eating...
On Saturday my parents came over for a birthday dinner for my mom and I filled the house with nasturtiums. Just about every room had a little arrangement of them. In the kitchen I combined them with little white pumpkins from the farm and my cute orange surprise pumpkin (there are two more still on the vine waiting to get a little more orange). I'm not really into seasonal decorating, but this grouping makes me so happy.
The other day I read a list of 12 Things to Do This Autumn on the Blog A Beautiful Mess and thought I should come up with my own list. Of course, some of the things on their list are things I'd want to include on my list, too (use the crock pot, bake cookies, make chili, sew something, eat sweet potatoes, make soup), so I guess my list is technically longer than 12 things.
- bake muffins (I made apple cinnamon muffins the other day adapting this recipe to have more apples, more cinnamon and adding vanilla. They were yummy).
- make apple cider
- collect seeds from the garden for next year
- take cuttings of plants to bring inside (geraniums, fuchsia, impatiens)
- plant garlic
- finish some crochet projects that are still in progress
- harvest and preserve the last of the herbs from the garden
- use up, harvest and preserve the last of the garden produce
- plant spinach to overwinter & eat in the spring
- go for walks in the woods
- collect leaves and acorns
- burn candles
What about you? What would be on your list of things to do this autumn?
And as for today's painting? Well, this wasn't one of my better painting days. The paint didn't seem to do what I wanted it to. I fought with it and fought with it and actually thought about giving up.
All the while I had U2's "Some Days are Better Than Others" in my head. It's been in my head a lot lately. Strange. I haven't heard it in years, but I guess there's something appropriate about it. It certainly is true that some days are better than others.
Hope you are having a good one.