30 Days 30 Paintings, Day 20 -- Porcelain Berries

I remember the first time I saw porcelain berries. It was in Palo Alto at the Elizabeth F. Gamble Garden. They almost didn't look real and I assumed they were some sort of exotic species that wouldn't be able to grow in colder areas. What else is a midwestern girl to think when she encounters a plant she's never seen before with turquoise and purple berries growing in a garden in California? I'm not sure if I saw it growing elsewhere until we moved to Wisconsin and I discovered it growing in town.

It's growing in a couple places (that I know of) here and always it's mingling with other weedy vines and plants. Grapevine. Hops. Mulberries. That should have been a clue.

When I looked it up today what were the first hits that came up? Sites about invasive species.

porcelain berry, watercolor, nature, 30 Days 30 Paintings, Anne Butera, My Giant Strawberry

Sad because they really are lovely.

Comments