My drawing and sketching has been learned by doing, perhaps not the most effective way to do it (I do think that all real learning and definitely all progress is impossible without our own hard work -- you'll never learn to draw if you only attend classes or watch tutorials; you need to draw to learn to draw). And although I believe that each of us needs to chart our own creative course, I think it's also fun and helpful to get another perspective and learn from others' experience.
Because winter is the perfect time to learn something new, I've compiled some resources that I hope will inspire you if you're interested in drawing and sketching or working in a sketchbook (note: some of these sites offer paid, subscription content. A few will give you a free trial and some also provide free resources as well as paid):
- Skillshare has a number of drawing classes. I recently watched Ria Sharon's Sketchbook Magic and it was delightful. Perfect encouragement for overcoming fears (that you might not even know you had) and starting a doable daily art practice.
- Creativebug also has a number of fun drawing classes:
- Lisa Congdon's sketchbook and drawing classes are easy and encouraging even for those who believe that they can't draw. This month she's doing a daily drawing challenge.
- Heather Ross's Drawing and Illustration Basics will help you create sweet sketches of everyday things.
- Jennifer Orkin Lewis (August Wren) regularly shares sketchbook tips on her blog. She has just started her third year of daily painting in her sketchbook and has learned a lot over that time which she is happy to pass on to others.
- There's a section on the Craftsy Blog that's devoted to all things drawing with many free resources.
- Looking for books to get you started? Emily Potts shares some great drawing books on the CreativeLive blog.
- Carla Sonheim has some free tutorials on her website.
- On the Strathmore blog there are quite a few posts with drawing tips and information.
- The Artists Network is a site filled with all sorts of art information. Topics relating to drawing can be found here.
- Looking for LOTS of online art classes? Art Tutor has you covered. They also offer free tutorials on their blog; you can find the drawing-themed tutorials here.
If you keep a sketchbook or like to draw, I'd love to hear about any resources, whether they're books, websites, blogs or even in-person classes, you've found to be helpful or even just fun and inspiring.
Or maybe you aren't interested in drawing and sketching? I'd love to hear what other creative adventures you'd like to take this winter.