Annie Glacken -- a Sketchbook Conversation

I wasn't sure I was going to have a Sketchbook Conversation today. It's is my birthday and I considered giving the series a week off. When I mentioned that to Annie Glacken, whose Sketchbook Conversation was next in line for this week, she told me that her birthday is tomorrow. I figured we'd celebrate together by chatting about sketchbooks. Here is Annie's story:


Why Do I Keep A Sketchbook Journal?

Many of us are living such extremely busy lives that we don’t notice the everyday gifts we receive from our Creator. What are these gifts? Some that come to mind are a child’s smile, a beautiful sunrise, a flower, a butterfly, or maybe a sentimental item. Taking the time to sketch or paint these gifts is like unwrapping them. It forces me to slow down and pay attention. I begin to notice and remember so much more than if I merely took a photograph.

Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

As I record these in my journal I am creating a treasured keepsake to pass down to my children and grandchildren.



Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

I am a watercolor artist and teacher by profession but I began keeping a sketchbook journal about four years ago as a way to take a break from “serious painting” and just play. When I am working in my sketchbook, I don’t place the same expectations on myself with regard to all of the “art rules.” I merely record the moment in ink and then splash on some color.

Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

As far as materials, I prefer using artist grade watercolors such as Daniel Smith or M. Graham which I put into a Heritage Folding Palette by Alvin. The brushes I use when in the field are the Jack Richeson Travel Brushes. They come in a very compact leather pouch. My favorite pen is the Pilot Metropolitan Fine Nib. I have two of them: one is black and the other is a bronze color. I use the black pen to hold gray ink and the bronze pen to hold brown ink. That way I can tell at a glance which pen to pick up. I prefer DeAtramentis Document Brown ink for sketching landscapes and the Noodler’s Lexington Gray ink for everything else. You can find the pen and the ink at Goulet Pens.


Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

The photos below are from a historical journal that I am working on.

Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

I have found that I prefer to make my own sketchbook journals because I can customize them to the paper type and size I prefer. Plus it makes your journal just that more special when you made it yourself. Below are two journals I made. For the journal on top, I used the Longstitch method and for the journal on the bottom, I used the Coptic stitch.


Annie Glacken, watercolors, watercolor sketchbook, sketchbook journals, hand bound books, Sketchbook Conversations, My Giant Strawberry

My advice to newbies to sketchbook journaling is to just sketch, sketch, and sketch some more. This is the best way to strengthen your skills. Don’t be sidetracked by your inner critic.  Just let it be a time to experiment and play. 


Happy journaling!



Thank you, Annie, for sharing your story with us today! (And happy birthday a day early!).



Dear readers, you can see more of Annie's art and more of her sketchbook journaling tips on her blog: https://www.annieglacken.com

You can also follow her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AnnieGlackenWatercolors

And take a look at her second website: https://www.annieglackenwatercolors.com



Missed the other Sketchbook Conversations posts? You can catch up here. And for more inspiration, check out my Artist Interviews.



*Photos in this post © Annie Glacken. Used with permission.

Comments

  1. Annie, your work is lovely and I am impressed that you make your own journals too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the post, Simone! (And happy birthday to you!!). :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Anne! Thank you for having me on "Sketchbook Conversations!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! It was my pleasure! Hope your birthday was lovely!

      Delete

Post a Comment