Emma Jane Kimmell -- A Sketchbook Conversation

Today's Sketchbook Conversation is Emma Jane Kimmell. Here's her story:

My name is Emma Jane Kimmell. I'm currently living in Seattle working as a children's art instructor but am back in school for design and marketing. I'm working on getting a coloring book published by the end of the year which will be up on Etsy and Amazon.


Sketchbook Conversations, Emma Jane Kimmell, sketchbooks, sketchbook pages, My Giant Strawberry

I started my daily sketchbook adventure back in 2011. I was determined to make it through a year and once I created the daily habit I thought why stop here? I had seen so much improvement in a year and loved that I had pushed myself out of my comfort zone and worked through the daily creative blocks. And I've been sketching ever since.


Sketchbook Conversations, Emma Jane Kimmell, sketchbooks, sketchbook pages, My Giant Strawberry

I started sketching directly into my book then I started sketching and painting on paper and pasting them in. Currently I'm working mostly with pen, watercolor and the occasional prismacolor.


Sketchbook Conversations, Emma Jane Kimmell, sketchbooks, sketchbook pages, My Giant Strawberry

My advice to someone starting this journey is to make a habit of it. Easier said than done, I know. Push yourself through those days when you don't feel like sketching. Don't look at uncreative days as a failure rather see them as progress. And I can guarantee that after a year you'll see massive improvement.


Sketchbook Conversations, Emma Jane Kimmell, sketchbooks, sketchbook pages, My Giant Strawberry

I'm able to draw things today that I never thought I'd be able to. Always keep your sketchbook on you and make the time to get it done. Some days I spend 10 minutes on a sketch and other days I spend 2 hours.

Sketchbook Conversations, Emma Jane Kimmell, sketchbooks, sketchbook pages, My Giant Strawberry


Thank you, Emma, for sharing your story with us today.

Dear Reader, you can connect with Emma on Instagram here.



Missed the other Sketchbook Conversations posts? It's easy to catch up at the series web page.

And for even more inspiration, check out my Artist Interviews



*Photos in this post ©Emma Jane Kimmell. Used with permission.

Comments

  1. Beautiful, imaginative work Emma. Thanks for the introduction to another inspiring artist Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment